Frequently Asked Questions
- What is RealDownload?
RealDownload is a product designed help you download files from the Internet. Its key features are the ability to pause and resume downloads, recover from dropped Internet connections, schedule downloads, and show informative content while you download.
- Tell me more about RealDownload.
RealDownload has two parts. The first is the RealDownload "client", which displays the status of your download and gives you access to Pause, Resume, Cancel, and other controls. RealDownload comes preconfigured so you can use it right away. It also has advanced Options in the Tools menu so you can change settings.
The second part of RealDownload is the "InfoWindow". As part of your RealDownload experience, you can surf the Web with the InfoWindow -- reading interesting news and information while you download.
- What are the system requirements for RealDownload 4
Note: Operating system requirements only apply to RealNetworks products. Third party plug- ins or add-ons may have different system requirements.
Minimum System Requirements
- Intel® Pentium® 200MHz MMX (or better)
- 32 MB of RAM
- 56.6Kpbs modem
- 4MB of hard drive space for downloaded files
- Graphics card supporting 16-bit color ("high color") or higher
- Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 2000 or Windows NT 4.0 with Service Pack 4
- Internet Explorer 4.01 or higher; Netscape 4.0 or higher; or AOL 4.0 or higher
Note: Windows NT and Windows 2000 installation requires Administrator privileges.
- Can I use RealDownload anywhere on the Web?
Yes. RealDownload is designed to work with all FTP and HTTP servers on the Internet.
Note: RealDownload does not support Newsgroup downloads.
- Does RealDownload support proxies?
Yes. RealDownload automatically picks up the right proxy settings from the current browser. Both CERN and SOCKS proxies are supported.
- Can I get RealDownload for my Macintosh?
RealDownload is currently available only for Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 2000, or Windows NT 4 with Service Pack 4.
- Can I use RealDownload with America Online?
RealDownload works with AOL 4.0 and AOL 5.0. Due to the proprietary means AOL uses to connect to the Internet, RealDownload's Scheduling feature may not connect automatically.
If you have AOL 5.0:
If you want to use scheduling with AOL 5.0, you must set AOL to automatically connect to the Internet when needed. In order to do this:
- Using the right mouse button, click the AOL systray icon (located next to the clock on the Windows taskbar)
- Click "Auto-Start Options" from the shortcut menu.
- In the window that opens, ensure that the "Automatically start AOL" option is selected.
- Click OK.
Also, AOL should be your default connectivity application.
This way AOL will start automatically and dial whenever RealDownload has to do a scheduled download.
If you have AOL 4.0:
AOL 4.0 requires you to manually enter a password in order to connect to the Internet. Therefore, you cannot have RealDownload's Scheduler dial the connection automatically with AOL 4.0.
- Can I still use RealDownload if I already have another download manager installed?
Yes. RealDownload has been tested with and designed to coexist with other download managers. If you are having problems, try deactivating the other download managers to troubleshoot the problem.