RealNetworks Releases Security Update to Address RealOne Player, RealPlayer Security Vulnerabilities.
Updated March 27, 2003
On March 7, 2003, a security exploit affecting RealOne Player and RealPlayer 8 was brought to the attention of RealNetworks.
The specific exploit was:
- By creating a specifically corrupted PNG (Portable Network Graphics) file, it is possible to cause heap corruption to occur, allowing an attacker to execute arbitrary code on a user's machine.
While we have not received reports of anyone actually being attacked with this exploit, all security vulnerabilities are taken very seriously by RealNetworks. RealNetworks has found and fixed the problem.
This vulnerability was due to the usage of an older, vulnerable version of a data-compression library within the RealPix component of the Player. The vulnerability was fixed by using an updated (non-vulnerable) version of this data-compression library in RealPix.
In addition to fixing the reported vulnerability, RealNetworks performed a review of all of the RealOne Player source code to identify other areas where this data-compression library is used. As a result of this review, several additional Player components have also been fixed, and are included in the provided updates.
RealOne Player and RealOne Player v2 for Windows (all language versions), RealPlayer 8 for Windows (all language versions), RealPlayer 8 for Mac OS 9, RealOne Player for Mac OS X, RealOne Enterprise Desktop Manager and RealOne Enterprise Desktop (all versions).
The Helix DNA Client is not affected by this vulnerability.
To ensure that your Player is protected, we recommend installing the updates available.
Please use the following steps to update your RealOne Player and RealPlayer8:
RealOne Player (184.108.40.2065), RealOne Player version 2(220.127.116.113):
- Go to the Tools menu.
- Select "Check for Update".
- Select the box next to the "Security Update - March2003" component.
- Click the Install button to download and install the update.
RealPlayer 8 (version 18.104.22.1684):
- Go to the Help menu.
- Select "Check for Update".
- Select the box next to the "Security Update -March 2003" component.
- Click the Install button to download and install theupdate.
| || |
RealOne Player for OS X:
Please go to http://forms.real.com/real/realone/mac.html to download an updated RealOne Player.
RealPlayer 8 for MacOS 9 (version 22.214.171.1244):
Please click here to download the update archive, and then follow these steps to install the updated components:
- Decompress the update archive using Stuffit Expander.
- Close (quit) the RealPlayer if currently running.
- Copy the following update files from the archive
- Open the System Folder
- Open the Application Support folder within the System Folder
- Open the Real folder within the Application Support folder
- Open the Plugins folder with the Real folder
Other Player versions:
Users of other versions of the Player, including
- RealOne Player version 2 (versions 126.96.36.1998 thru 188.8.131.521)
- RealPlayer 8 (prior to version 184.108.40.2064),
- RealPlayer 7, and
- RealPlayer G2
The vulnerabilities were discovered with the help of Carlos Sarraute and Juliano Rizzo of Core Security Technologies.
While RealNetworks endeavors to provide you with the highest quality products and services, we cannot guarantee and do not warrant that the operation of any RealNetworks product will be error-free, uninterrupted or secure. See your original license agreement for details of our limited warranty or warranty disclaimer.